In this instant episode of the hellyeah! show, we have a whole bunch of AT&T news, a roundup of PAX East 2012, Flashback trojan protection advice, a discussion of the Facebook/Instagram deal, and some talk about the Microsoft/AOL patent acquisition. We wrap things up with Emory’s call to AT&T customer support.
Check out the show notes after the break…
- more DNS Crypt
- AT&T now lets users unlock their phones
- iA Writer for iOS (iPad/iPhone), Mac OS X
- PAX East 2012
- keynote by Jordan Mechner
- concerts by Video Game Orchestra, Paul and Storm, Jonathan Coulton, and MC Frontalot
- classic consoles and arcade
- woo java!
- what’s java?
AT&T Microcell comes with a free root exploit
- sloppy hardening (thanks AT&T)
- remotely exploitable
- hijack call data
Facebook buys Instagram
- $1 billion in cash and stock
- first major acquisition by Facebook
- Instagram will operate as an independent company within Facebook
- Instagram has no revenue
- Zuckerberg: “We don’t plan on doing many more of these, if any at all.”
Microsoft buys 800 AOL patents
- more than $1 billion for 800 patents ($1.3 million per patent)
- includes many early internet patents (search, email, IM, advertising, etc.)