In this mournful episode of the hellyeah! show, we discuss the death of Steve Jobs, the short saga of Qwikster, SiriusXM’s online streaming options, Sonic.net’s awesomeness, the Arrested Development reunion, and Emory’s picks for the new TV season.
Check out the show notes after the break…
- What can you say?
- we hardly knew ye
- key caption: “CEO Reed Hastings is seen gesturing in this file photo.”
- email to members: “This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.”
- Alan has had mixed experiences
- they make it hard to subscribe to an online streaming only plan
- massive amounts of public radio is pretty win
- digital distortion on online streaming is pretty fail
Sonic.net and data privacy
- strong anti-data cap stance
- strong pro-privacy stance
- these guys seem like a great ISP
- Secret memo on data retention records of Mobile Phone operators in the US
- Verizon keeps the contents of your SMS messages for 3 days, your flow data (IP sessions) for 90 days
- T-Mobile keeps the least amount of data
- AT&T can tell you who you texted 7 years ago, but not the contents of the message, 3 days of IP flows
Arrested Development reunion
- Yay! We approve whole-heartedly.
- Story at the New Yorker: If all goes according to plan, the series will return to television in a nine- or ten-episode limited-run television series, set to film next summer, with each episode focusing on a single member of the Bluth clan. And series creator Mitchell Hurwitz said that he is halfway through the screenplay for a reunion film and is “eighty per cent” sure it will happen.
- Notable insider details on the production of the show
- Fox doesn’t like men in fluffy shirts or moustaches
- Tony Hale (Buster Bluth, the VW Roboto Guy) is hilarious and ruins more takes by making people break than anyone else on the cast
New Television Shows of this Season that Emory Doesn’t Hate
- Person of Interest (Flash Forward meets Burn Notice?)
- Up All Night
- New Girl
- Too soon to tell
- Prime Suspect
- Two Broke Girls
- These suck
- Playboy Club
- Last Man Standing
1x10 hellyeah! show: we outlived Qwikster [ 1:02:03 ] Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
First of all, grats on outliving Qwickster! I too found out about Steve Jobs passing away via trade chat. It actually is a somewhat reliable source when it comes to celebrity death news. ;)
Your discussion of data caps and how there’s no actual ‘scarcity of bandwidth’ reminded me of something I haven’t thought of for years – Internet2, which I first heard of back in ’97 or ’98.
Internet2 Planned 100 Gigabit Infrastructure Topology (DRAFT)
Enemy of the State – of course it’s Gene Hackman. It’s ALWAYS Gene Hackman.
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – Hamburger Helper on the grill ~die~.