In this roundtable episode of the hellyeah! show, we discuss the impending Stop Online Piracy Act before being joined by special guest and general purpose geek John Duksta to talk about the past, present, and future of digital storage, as well as his impressions of his new Kindle Fire.
Check out the show notes after the break…
- “best practices for fine living”
- advice on how to not let technology ruin your day
- “the storage show”
- Clancy Ever After
SOPA (Stop Online Piracy [Privacy] Act)
- censors “rogue” websites (definition of “rogue” is broad)
- messes with DNS
- best understood by watching this video done by Internet Hero TurtleJP:
- internet companies now have more lobbying dollars than the entertainment industry, right?
- even if it passes, it won’t stop infringement: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/11/anonymous-bit-dimnet-tries-to-be-a-hedge-against-dns-censorship.ars
- John Duksta here to talk about storage
- security engineer, general purpose geek
- hobbyist hardware hacker
- John got one yesterday
- first impressions
- Mo terabytes, mo problems
- Storage needs from past, present and future
- a brief history of losing your data
- Households and data, the shifting paradigms of home computing
- C: & Macintosh HD
- Host-Attached storage
- External drives (USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt)
- File Servers
- Using a computer as a fileserver
- “The Cloud” (S3, Box.net, Dropbox, Backblaze, etc)
- Backups and Recovery
- Needs to be another show, too much to cover
1x15 hellyeah! show: the storage show [ 1:00:36 ] Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
Guys, thanks for the shout out and internet legend comment but the video is not one that I created. I just happened to reblog it. The original is at http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/
D’oh! Thanks for the correction. I blame Emory!
As you should, because it’s my fault. Turtle is still a Friend of the Internet, but I withdraw Legendary status until further notice.
Here you go Bag Snob.
I don’t know where I got this reputation as being a bag snob. Probably because that bag sucks.
Hey Emory, you keep talking about your “infamous” Unison script for synchronizing your home folders on kvet.ch and the show. When are you planning to actually share it for us plebs? I’m still living the “rsync dream” in my world. There’s got to be an easier way…
I didn’t see this until today. I need to think about packing it up for distribution, it’s a hodgepodge right now.